Monday, December 26, 2011

First response to Lance Truong

I tried to post the following message on the SSJ Forum but the moderator refused to post it. The moderator did send the message to Lance, however.
Lance,

I have a blog that lists many of the major events of 2011. This is the url: http://chroniclesoftheendofhistory.blogspot.com

I’ll give you a brief description of what happened in 2011 here.

In 2011, Afghanistan was all about the so-called end game. We were supposed to negotiate a peace agreement with the Taliban. But actually, based on what happened, it appears we don’t really want to do that. At every point along the way in 2011 (and actually this extends back into 2010), America or Pakistan or someone else did something to screw up the negotiations. For example, last year, in November, we “discovered” that the person we were negotiating with was not, in fact, Mullah Akhtar Muhammad Mansour, a high ranking Taliban official. He was actually a shopkeeper from Quetta (I think the probability that our intelligence agencies didn’t know the real identity of this guy right from the beginning is zero). Then, in December, our special envoy to Afghanistan, Richard Holbrooke died. That screwed up the negotiations. Then, on January 27, Raymond Davis, a CIA official, killed two Pakistanis in Lahore. This screwed up our relationship with Pakistan (and so screwed up the negotiations with the Taliban, their supposed proxy in Afghanistan). Then, on March 17, an American drone strike killed at least 40 people attending a jirga in North Waziristan. This too really pissed of Pakistan. Then, on May 2, we killed Osama bin Laden. In Pakistan. Guess how the Pakistanis reacted? Then, on September 20, someone assassinated Burhanuddin Rabbani, the head of the Afghan High Peace Council. This, of course, screwed up the negotiations. Then, on November 26, NATO killed 24 Pakistani soldiers and so Pakistan refused to attend the Bonn Conference on Afghanistan in December.

And so all this begs the question, why doesn’t anyone (America in particular) want peace? One possible explanation is that America needs the war as an excuse to spend money. Japan’s money. As long as the war goes on, America will need to borrow money to pay for the war. Spending money on your military does boost your economy. And so perhaps the American government feels like it needs a war in order to justify its military spending.

But, unfortunately, on March 11, a magnitude 9.0 earthquake struck Japan. And now Japan needed Japan’s money for her reconstruction efforts. And so throughout 2011 Japan and America fought over who would spend Japan’s money. Actually, this fighting preceded the start of this year. The fighting over this issues goes back, well, I don’t know how far back this goes. At least to the eighties.

And I would be remiss if I didn’t mention my own participation in this idiotic, moronic, sorry piece of theater. To put pressure on all sides to do something, the U.S. government (my government) used me to threaten everyone (including Congress) into shaping up (you can read more about this on my blog). They had me release a bunch of classified information over the Internet and they threatened to show the general public what I had written. This would cause problems for lots and lots of people. Trust me. Of course, in order to get me to say what they wanted me to say, my government had to use all sorts of methods of persuasion (read: torture). Needless to say, I am not pleased about how this year went (and it wasn’t just this year, my involvement in this whole sorry affair goes back to 2009, when the DPJ came to power. If you don’t believe me, ask Jun. No wait, don’t ask Jun. He’s a coward who won’t answer your question if it’s too difficult.)

Mark Murata

No comments: