Monday, October 10, 2011

So...how's your shower water?

I woke up at around 9:30 AM today. I heard a noise upstairs. Realizing that housekeeping must be cleaning the room above me, I decided the time was right to finally meet my neighbor. I quickly brushed my teeth and then headed upstairs. The door was cracked open. I knocked on the door and then opened the door all the way before even waiting for a response.

The living room was basically empty. The television was tilted away from me (towards the kitchen area) so I could not see what was on. There was an African American lady sitting on the couch, watching TV. She had big, black sunglasses on, which I thought was strange, given that she was indoors. She had a white towel wrapped around her head. She had jogging pants on. She had her feet perched on the coffee table. Her right leg kept bobbing up and down, as if she was nervous.

I asked her if she lived here and she said yes. I asked her if she was having any problems with her shower water. If anything, she was having the opposite problem I was having. For her, the water – and Las Vegas in general – was very dry. She was apparently not used to this because she was from Hawaii. I briefly described how the shower water felt to me. She said she hadn’t experienced anything like that.

After talking to her for a couple of minutes, I left. I didn’t ask her what she did for a living. I should have.

Because she was wearing sunglasses, I couldn’t see her eyes. In my experience, looking at someone’s eyes is the easiest way to determine if the government has been doing something to that individual. The sunglasses and the towel wrap over her hair hid much of her face from me. I would have a very difficult time identifying her if I were ever to see her again.

No comments: