Sunday, August 28, 2011

Global citizen Haruki Murakami

The Japan Times published an editorial about Haruki Murakami on August 28. In the editorial, the newspaper referred to Murakami as the “leading global citizen” of Japan.

“Mr. Murakami has touched a universal chord of postmodern rootlessness, where urban singletons, divorced from traditional family and community ties, grope for a new way of living,” said the Japan Times. “His protagonists bravely search, in his words, for reality in a world of fake news, fake government and fake war, a consciousness obviously felt worldwide.”

After reading this article, I posted the following on Mr. Murakami’s Facebook page.
The System has me. A couple of years ago, I started hearing voices. I started hallucinating. I starting writing things online. Secrets that my government was implanting into my mind. I have not read any of your books. But last night, as I was taking a shower, my government told me that I would have to write something important after I got out. The Japan Times wrote an article about you. About your work. Postmodern rootlessness. Urban singletons. Divorced from traditional family and community ties. Groping for a new way of living. Searching for reality in a world of fake news. Fake government. Fake war. That's me. So I must write something to you. I am being exploited. I can't think. I can't write. Anything except what my government wants. But I can break free. I have been in the system so long that I know it. I can change it. I just need a chance. I need help. Please. Don't let a 85 mph gust of wind be the biggest thing to hit America this weekend. Don't be a coward. Please. bit.ly/qaXxxy

No comments: