Monday, October 4, 2010

The Pros and Cons of Citizen Diplomacy

The New York Times published an op-ed on soft power written by Joseph Nye on October 4, 2010. In this article, Nye argued that global politics was now about which country had the best story to tell. According to him, using private citizens to convey that story was the most effective way to engage in story telling. He noted that, with the emergence of the Internet, those people could easily interact with other citizens across national boundaries. However, as long as private citizens were doing the interacting, governments would have to relinquish much of their control over the message.

This article is significant because I am one of the people involved in this story telling game. My government has never directly told me to engage in this behavior, nor has it directly told me what to say. But somehow, my government been able to put words and ideas into my head which I have written and published online. I'm not sure how they're doing this.

No comments: