Friday, December 31, 2010

A Year Anew

The New York Times wrote an editorial on New Year’s Eve. The Times welcomed the chance to start over, to start anew with more hope.

“Last night was a night for banishing regrets,” said the Times. “Today is for wondering how to live without new ones, how to do right by ourselves and one another.”

The Times did not mention what its regrets were for 2010, but I believe the Times wrote this article because it regretted its participation in the “New Diplomacy,” which, of course, involved torturing people like me. This article made me quite upset. If the Times wanted to start over, I thought, the newspaper should start by telling the public the truth about what happened in 2010. I was just about to write a furious comment for the article when I noticed that there was no place to write a comment. In fact, as far as I can tell, this was the first Times article which lacked a comments section. Subsequently, I noticed that many of the articles posted by the Times (and other newspapers) did not have a place where readers could post a comment in response to the article.

Apparently, as part of this “starting over,” the first thing the Times did was to prevent the public from commenting on certain articles that might draw remarks from people like me. Apparently, in the New Year, newspapers decided to try to quash the “New Diplomacy” by not letting people post comments on their website. I am willing to bet that, in the comments section, as part of the “New Diplomacy,” there were many people like me who were busy trying to tell the public information that our government wants to keep secret. Far from encouraging such behavior, the Times, instead, decided to quash this behavior.

Trash till the end.

No comments: