Friday, December 3, 2010

Where's the American empire when we need it?

“Our diplomacy is hobbled by wide-ranging security leaks that are specific to an age of electronic communication, itself hostile to imperial rule,” said Robert Kaplan, in an op-ed published by the Washington Post on December 3, 2010.

Obviously, Kaplan was referring to WikiLeaks in part, but I believe he was also referring to me.

I believe my government used this reasoning – the idea that the leaks are hurting us – as an excuse to violate my civil liberties and basically shut down my brain. Remember that my government “made” me “leak” the information that I published in the first place. Then it tortured me for having knowledge of that information and for trying to use it.

I think it is more likely that other countries conspired with my government in an effort to give my government an excuse to make me shut up. In this game, I would publish something on the web, another government would get angry, then my government would use their anger as an excuse to basically torture me.

This will not stand.

FYI: As I’m writing this, my government is “telling” me that they used what I wrote as an excuse for doing the various things that they did. They haven’t provided me with any examples of this. I’m not sure if I believe it.

No comments: