Friday, July 30, 2010

WikiLeaks vows more leaks as U.S. steps up investigation

On July 30, WikiLeaks unveiled its latest threat against America, saying it had received documents related to BP and sexual abuse in the U.S. military. America claimed to be shocked and dismayed by the actions of WikiLeaks.

“We can do nothing but implore the person who has those classified top secret documents not to post anymore,” said Robert Gibbs. “I think it’s important that no more damage be done to our national security.”

This whole bit of political theater seemed very disingenuous to me. I assume that the only reason why WikiLeaks was able to get its hands on this information was because the U.S. government provided the organization with this information in the first place.

In INDB, I wrote the following note in regards to this story.
WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T RELEASE THESE DOCUMENTS THAT WE SEND TO YOU!!!
I was trying to be ironic, but my government wants me to believe that WikiLeaks read this comment and used it as an excuse to not publish those documents. I don’t buy it. Whether or not WikiLeaks had access to what I was writing, I think they refused to disclose certain documents for other reasons, namely, because the release of those documents would be damaging to the West, Europe in particular.

No comments: