Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A new approach to China

On January 12, 2010, Google accused China of orchestrating a “highly sophisticated” attack on its computer systems. According to Google, the Chinese government had tried to gain access to the Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists. Because of this incident, Google announced it would no longer censor its search results in China.

This incident is significant because my government has “led” me to believe that the Chinese government has access to my Gmail account and has been reading the things I have been writing.

For some time now, I have been using my Gmail account as an online backup system for the things I have written. Whenever I want to save a document online, I send an email with that document attached to my Gmail account. Anyone who has access to my Gmail account would have access to all this information.

No comments: